PDA

View Full Version : No CAS Room! (Also Works With Pets)

fway
22nd Jul 2011, 10:11 PM
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/9/9/6/1/2/9/MTS_fway-1321076-Preview-Pets.jpg
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/9/9/6/1/2/9/MTS_fway-1212767-Preview1.jpg

Empty CAS Screens!No CAS Room!
Yes, it's true! You can modify the CAS screens beyond the point of recoloring them. I wanted to see how the CAS room worked. I was surprised that the room was actually a mesh. So I spent my time removing objects from the "room," however the importing process into S3PE caused problems no matter how I tried to fix it. I will say however it is probable that truly custom CAS rooms can be made, like if you wanted a giant sphere room, it's possible that may work, but I wouldn't advise using EA's original room. It stinks! If anything use the empty room as a base. I'll explain the parts later in the post.

This mod in particular is perfect for anyone who gets distracted by the objects in CAS and want to concentrate on making Sims.

Just a REALLLLY late edit: This mod also works with Pets surprisingly. I hadn't put the replacement back in my game for a while and was surprised that I didn't have to change anything. So no need to re-download anything.
Technical Info/Issues

Place in your "~Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Overrides\" folder.

fway-NoCASRoom.package - No CAS room, just hidden "placeholder" groups behind the camera. Perfect for making brand new types of CAS screens.
MODL: 18 polys
MLOD: 2 polys

This is a mesh override and should be compatible with any game version. EA decided that when creating the room is to overlook how the map looks. Please bear in mind that I did attempt to fix the map for the flooring, but the results looked the same. I have decided not to include the rooms, just a bare and empty screen. The lighting does look fine with the CAS room gone. Please note that when I had tested my "old" rooms with recolors, some recolors had the MLOD/MODL files within them be sure to take these out just in case. I have a tutorial that's a WIP, it should be coming out soon, unless anyone else wants to take a whack at making one, be my guest! :)

I'd also like to point out that the background is blue by default, not sure why it is, and I am unsure if that can be changed at all, but it's better than looking at an ugly room.

Heads Up!
The original meshes had come without any "tiling" whatsoever which may be the cause of the wonky looking floors/walls, so if anyone decides to make a custom CAS screen, they should keep this in the back of their mind.

CAS Room Parts
Group00 - Anything glass
Group01 - Reflective glass (Inside Mirror)
Group02 - The (sad excuse for a) floor
Group03 - Furniture group 1
Group04 - Furniture group 2
Group05 - A second glass pane?
Group06 - The outdoor scene.
Group07 - The (sad excuse for a) wall
Group08 - Shiny bits

Additional Credits:
Inge and Peter Jones for S3PE.
Inge again for detecting what the problem was when using "From s3asc."
Peter for updating S3PE even though I figured out what the problem with importing was.
#Create!

Morphead
23rd Jul 2011, 12:02 AM
Great job an getting this far. I'm sure we'll figure out custom ones son. Keep at it!

Alizatina
23rd Jul 2011, 12:54 AM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY you made this! My POS computer takes so long with loading CAS and this will help out so much I'm sure... Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you! ^_^

:gjob:

Vorpal
23rd Jul 2011, 9:37 AM
This is perfect. :) I personally find the mirror to be distracting.

The screen is actually black/dark gray in my game instead of blue though.

fway
23rd Jul 2011, 2:37 PM
The screen is actually black/dark gray in my game instead of blue though.

Interesting. What are your graphics settings? Do you/did you have a CAS room recolor installed?

tizerist
23rd Jul 2011, 4:36 PM
does this make loading quicker?

fway
23rd Jul 2011, 5:36 PM
does this make loading quicker?

In my testing, without CC, with "CAS integration" installed, and some custom sliders, getting into CAS takes about 7 seconds with my mod. Without my mod it takes about 10. If you were talking about the content within CAS, unfortunately no, I believe that's a separate thing within the game.

The only mod I know of that optimizes CAS (IMO) is Twallan's CAS integration for the Master Controller. It doesn't load the clothes as fast (for my game at least), but it quits the jumping to the current outfit your sim is wearing, which is efficient.

chasmchronicle
23rd Jul 2011, 6:14 PM
Oh! :) this should be fun! Plus, the original CAS room looked hideous.. Thanks for this.
I never knew the CAS room was actually a mesh!

simsbeauty
23rd Jul 2011, 7:49 PM
This is pure genious! Thank-you for getting rid of all the ugliness.

Vorpal
24th Jul 2011, 4:29 AM
Interesting. What are your graphics settings? Do you/did you have a CAS room recolor installed?
I've never had anything that edited CAS's room before this mod.

My game looks like this (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5968346985_7af421bf86_b.jpg). I play in windowed mode.

Do you think aWt's HQ modification would make it like that? I haven't tested without it yet.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the stylist room also looks like that.

fway
24th Jul 2011, 7:37 AM
VERY strange. I tested my game with your settings (minus the resolution) before and after I installed AWT's HQ mod and there was no visible difference between the two with it installed. I will say though, that it changed the tint of the empty room to a pretty blue.

Have you tried reinstalling with a fresh HQ mod, or placing your backup (I'm hoping you have one) for a result? I would put your backup in to see if you can get the room to be that color. Then if it goes back to being blue, re-install a fresh HQ mod and see what the result is.

What is your patch version? Processor chip? Graphics card?

I was looking over the graphicsrules file and I don't want to jump to any conclusions after reading through the file.

Vorpal
24th Jul 2011, 8:24 AM
So I put my backup in, cleared my caches, and tried again. Still gray, haha.

Base: 1.22.9.011001
WA: 2.17.2.011031
AMB: 4.10.1.011031
LN: 4.10.1.011031
Gen: 8.0.152.011001

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Not really the best stuff to be playing sims with, but it runs the game just fine. :)

Edit: So I figured out what it was! The background reflects the color of the sky in my game. I took that last picture when it was night time. Even though I went through edit town for the gray picture in my last post, the same thing applies with edit in CAS cheats. If you're wondering why the sky was black, it's caused by dDefinder's Outdoor Lighting Tweaks mod (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=367164). I use the "balanced" version if you want to see if that's what's causing the CAS color weirdness.

Early morning CAS (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/5969960436_ee19e57d83_b.jpg) & outside (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5969401949_02148e063a_b.jpg) (purple).
Daytime CAS (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/5969401963_247dab6aee_b.jpg) & outside (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/5969960474_d5d748ca7d_b.jpg) (light blue).
Afternoon CAS (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5969401999_0033550b50_b.jpg) & outside (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6011/5969960496_44c9b1cfd8_b.jpg) (slightly darker blue).

I'm just glad I figured out what it was. :D

vidov
24th Jul 2011, 1:12 PM
no more mirror disturbing ;)

fway
24th Jul 2011, 7:02 PM
So I put my backup in, cleared my caches, and tried again. Still gray, haha.
<snip>

Edit: So I figured out what it was! The background reflects the color of the sky in my game. I took that last picture when it was night time. Even though I went through edit town for the gray picture in my last post, the same thing applies with edit in CAS cheats. If you're wondering why the sky was black, it's caused by dDefinder's Outdoor Lighting Tweaks mod (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=367164). I use the "balanced" version if you want to see if that's what's causing the CAS color weirdness.

<snip>

I'm just glad I figured out what it was. :D

That's just kickass. When I had asked what your processor was, it was to make sure your processor wasn't an intel because there is something in the graphics rules file that says something about an "intel color fix", but seeing that it may just be the lighting mod it's good news. I'm going to test CAS when it hits night time in my game.

yannickvanloon
24th Jul 2011, 9:16 PM
fun :heyhey:

Annabel Lee
26th Jul 2011, 8:22 AM
Wow! This will be great!
*sloshing paint all over the CAS room*
Thank you so much for this! :D

vivibella
9th Aug 2011, 2:46 PM
i like original ;P

nedswife
14th Jan 2012, 3:35 PM
Thank you SO much for this FWAY! You are awesome! I was wondering if it were possible AND easy for you to do one with a white and/or black background? Reason being that for screenshots of outfits, they are the 2 best background colours. THANK YOU so so much for doing this though, it means I don't have to take my sim in and out of CAS all the time to do screenshots for custom pictures for uploads.

allison731
20th Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
Thank you very much. I really needed this! Now, I will much easier separate my sims from picture background for my preview images for my new creations. THANK YOU :up:

bitterquill
10th Mar 2012, 7:24 AM
I love the idea of getting rid of the ugly room! I'd love to see just the Sim on a plain background. I'm somewhat afraid that I'll miss being able to see both the front and back of the Sim at once (which is, in my opinion, the one good thing about that mirror).

ETA: Now that I've tried it, I have to say, this is one of the best mods I've found in a while. I never really thought I was "distracted" by the default CAS, but the emptied version is *so* much cleaner and easier to use, I can't believe how long I went without it!

NickyMiki
2nd Sep 2012, 8:18 PM
Great for taking pictures, thanks :)

cheliebellie
28th Nov 2012, 5:18 AM
rofl i did not need yr mod for some reason as i play the game and what did i see the blue screen ROFl

Annabel Lee
18th Apr 2013, 6:41 PM
With so many lighting tweaks out there, my CAS screen is getting some color overhauls with this mod. :) I like it. This has been so nice to use-- thanks again.

Rafe Weisz
19th Aug 2013, 5:50 PM
Does this prevent the reflections memory leak since seasons? Thanks for giving us an empty room!

VincentHowl
30th Dec 2013, 12:15 PM
Does this prevent the reflections memory leak since seasons? Thanks for giving us an empty room!

I ran the game in windowed mode with task manager's performance tab open on the side. This does indeed fix the memory leak problem that was so bad I had to get more RAM for my laptop after installing seasons because it was putting me 1/2 a gig over. :faceslap: There's no way to totally prevent it even with reflections turned off (bathtubs seem to be a continuing culprit) but this CAS screen means I can change more than one wardrobe per play session without the game crashing.